Saturday, December 20, 2014

Where I'm From

I am from a dusty old swing set that threatened to collapse every summer. 
This was from the hours I swung from it, 
contemplating the universe 
and the boy across the street.

I am from a house that used to be a veterinary clinic. 
They left much behind. 
There is still a strange room full of broken microscopes, 
syringes of medicine wrapped in paper, 
and huge volumes on the anatomy of horses; 
all caked in dust.

I am from a field covered in yellow wildflowers, 
with ancient pine trees lining the fence.
 I would climb them until I reached the very top, 
and peek out from behind the needles.
 I was a dryad, blending into the bark 
like it was my own skin.

I am from homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast every Christmas Day; 
the one time my stepfather cooks for us.
 My siblings: Emma always complains about her presents;
 Mali complains about Emma. Samuel cries. 
I hide from my distant stepfamily. 

I am from picking through grandchildren 
like you would a barrel of apples; 
toss the ones that are odd-shaped or bruised. 
I’m from knowing about fire and death before my friends, 
because my stepfather was a cop.

From “Family will never desert you” 
and watching as mine shrunk
 from twenty people to a handful. 
I’m from “You’d better get your chores done before he gets home,” 
and “You’d better get your ass in gear.”
 My childhood was over the moment I realized he had ceased to scare me. 

I am from sitting through Lutheran service every Sunday, 
in a modest skirt and tights I had ripped playing basketball. 
I argued with the Sunday School teacher, 
and moved to the pastor 
when her answers did not satisfy me.
 Soon I learned to keep my mouth shut 
until I could choose for myself. 

I’m from ancestors in Ireland, 
then Great Falls, Montana;
 where it snows in July
 And everyone smells like buffalo burgers and cigarettes.

I’m from watching my mother go through her stages of depression, 
and seeing her leave me a week to visit her “friends.” 
She left expecting me to take care of myself, 
and I learned by doing everything wrong. 

I am from, Billings, Great Falls, Taneyville, Forsyth, Aurora, Springfield. 
I am from a biological family, briefly introduced, in Montana. 
I am from three siblings I might see once a month, and a mother. 

I am from tossing out someone else’s history,
 and beginning my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment